Pages

Monday, August 3, 2009

Rearranged

James and I decided it was time to move the dining room table out of storage and fit it in the little room that our floorplan calls a "nook". As this nook had currently been taken up entirely by my little computer station, it took us a bit of head scratching to decide how this could be arranged, as I was entirely opposed to moving the computer into the spot right next to our television.

Of course, as it always goes, we moved one thing, and then another, and then another until the only things in their original spot are our television and the big couch (simply because we considered moving them and decided it was too much of a hassle). The dining table is pushed up against one wall, giving us enough room to have a mini computer station lined up along the opposite wall. Bookshelves were moved, including one moving to the bedroom, which had also been rearranged as James and I realized if we put the bassinet back in our room, there'd be no walkway on my side of the bed.

Now we're talking televisions. The big 40" old LCD sucker is taking up a large portion of the corner of our bedroom. Unfortunately, the one we have in our front room is just as wide, if not as tall. We're contemplating switching that one for the old 32" LCD we gave my mom awhile back (she'd be trading up!), put the 32" in the bedroom and move James's beloved 40" into the front room.

Before we do that, however, we must ensure that old TV picks up all the cable stations in the front room. Last time we trusted that sucker as the main room telelvision, at our old apartment, I didn't even know we had full cable access until a few months before we moved. I'd been thinking I was super special for being able to get ABCFamily and Disney and some of the other higher cable channels if I flipped to the channel (TV channel 17 got me access to cable channel 65!) when the stars were aligned correctly, I did the hokey pokey, wiggled my nose, and chanted. Turns out, the chanting wasn't necessary, just a better TV that could translate our apartment's screwy cable signal. However, since the TV can successfully pick up all 75 channels in the bedroom, I'm going to assume it's learned its lesson and will do so properly in the front room as well.

Cadence loved us rearranging, since it took us a few days to finally get everything in it's place, which means lots of goodies were in new places and within reach! Items that had been otu of reach on top of bookshelves and desks were now conveniently laying on a coffee table that she'd never seen before, that was the perfect height for snatching the pens, papers, and other trinkets.

Ah, but funny story before I go: We have a 5-shelf bookshelf in our bedroom, and recently moved one of our 3-shelf bookshelves back there as well, right next to it. Around 5am this morning, I wake up to James muttering in surprise and open my eyes to find him crouched at the foot of the bed on my side, looking towards the bookshelves that now line the wall by his side of the bed. "We have a problem" is what he says and I look up to see Taz had used the 3-shelf bookshelf as a stepping stool to leap to the top of the 5-shelf bookshelf (which she and Hanna had done several times when a similar arrangement was in the old apartment). James, by the way, doesn't wake up entirely for quite awhile. So though open-eyed, moving, and talking, he was still very much asleep, which means his brain isn't up to it's usual snuff. In the dark, Taz looked entirely black, and James did not recognize her. He chased her out of the room and followed her so he could flip on a light and see who our black-cat intruder was, then returned to the room and told me it was okay and that it was only Taz and went back to sleep. I fell back asleep very amused.

2 comments:

  1. When Ron and I lived there, we had the one bedroom first and our room had dressers & bookshelves lining our walls, too! Even drawers in the closet! The one bedroom closet is REALLY tiny! We eventually moved to the 2 bedroom and could spread out, but we didn't have a baby, either! Our kitchen table was called a "newlywed" table (or something like that, and was a small round table where the sides folded down and there were only 2 chairs! But, it sounds like you guys are doing well and finding a place for everything! I'm sure it still feels like home!
    And, yes, the second baby is harder. When you have just one, you can devote all your time to that one, now you've got 2 and have to deal with trying to take care of them both. You've got double the everything, and it will seem frustrating at times, but you get through it. You just need to do the best you can and your girls will love you no matter what! It's good that Cadence is bonding with her daddy, because you're going to need his help a lot! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, after the first few months, having 2 was the same as having one. It just required a bit more finesse when taking trips to Target without Devonn.

    But anyway, can't wait to see the results of the re-arrangin'!

    ReplyDelete