Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

6 (okay 7) month checkup

Cadence charmed everyone in the waiting room this morning, including the nurse that called us back for our appointment. Everything went well. As I suspected, she lost a "weight class" and gained a "height class". She's been pretty steadily 50th percentile for her height and weight, but that changed this time around:

Height: 27" (75th percentile for her age)
Weight: 15lb 2oz (25th percentile for her age)
Head Circumference: 17.375" (also in the 75th)

So, while she's well under the weight limit for her car seat at the moment, she's nearing the length limits. We should probably look more seriously into the convertible car seat options.

The doctor confirmed a few things. At her first appointment she had a short list of things to "keep an eye on" and every last one was confirmed "not worth worrying about". The spot on her lip hasn't grown, which means it's just going to be a beauty mark, if it doesn't fade by elementary school. The heart murmur that she had during her first check-up was confirmed to be grown out of, finally. The doctor is now a little curious about her head circumference growth, but says he'll just confirm it's nothing at her next appointment. Quite frankly, with both her parents genes, Cadence could not escape the slightly oversized head, I fear. Nothing grossly disfiguring, but...

Doctor said she had another tooth poking through to the side of her new ones, which I was surprised about, and he said that the tops ones were getting ready to push through as well. The girl had no teeth a month ago, and now it's very likely she'll have 5, if not 6, in another month or so. I guess that's how these things happen, eh? I was really more surprised because she hasn't been all that fussy. Maybe she's just been teething so constantly for the past few weeks she's gotten used to it and it doesn't bother her so much anymore.

I also got thumbs up for continuing to give her finger foods and was told not to hesitate in sharing what food we eat. I'm making chicken curry and rice tonight. While the curry might be a tad too strong, bits of finely shredded chicken and rice could be a nice alternative to Cadence's saltine crackers. The doctor didn't even blink an eye when I admitted she wasn't spoon fed. I like the doctor. He said while medically he should encourage the iron fortified cereal, but so long as she was getting plenty of formula and able to practice eating other solids, everything would be fine. I love that he gives the medical advice and says what's recommended without being a butthead about it. He did the same thing when I admitted she was a belly sleeper at her 4 month appointment.

But, by far, the reason I love this doctor so much is he plays with Cadence. This time, he walked in with a new book, crouched in front of us and flipped through the book, talking to her and pointing out the designs, before beginning the appointment itself. I don't know if all pediatricians are like this, but I don't care. I like the one I have, especially compared to the one I took her to for her 3 day check-up at KMC.

No comments:

Post a Comment