Pages

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Putting away for later

The onesies I'd been dressing Cadence in for the past 8 months were, er, getting a tad small. She can still squeeze into the NB sizes, but they strained a bit at the snaps with how long she's grown. So, I pulled out the box of hand-me-downs that I'd packed away for being too big and pulled most of them out. I was given a lot of clothes for NB and 0-3 months and a lot of clothes for 6-9 months, but only a handful of 3-6 months. I'd worry more about the lack of proper fitting clothes, but many of the ones that are just labeled "3 months" fit perfectly, and she is in just a diaper more often than not anyway in this heat.

So, laundry was washed the other day and I finally pulled the hamper of clean clothes out to sort through. I'd done a quick sort through of her dresser (which was mostly empty when I finally got around to it), but the bulk of the sorting went on as I folded clean laundry. I very carefully folded each too-small piece and put them into a box.

It was so strange to do so. I'd hold a tiny NB sized onesie that I have pictures of Cadence wearing, when she was so tiny and even that small onesie was too big on her. Then, it would hit me that in 5 months, I'll be pulling them all back out again to dress someone else in Cadence's old clothes. Another little person is going to be enveloped in the slightly too-large onesies and staring up at me in that disgruntled newborn way.

For some reason, the idea of meeting and falling in love with Parasite is so much more surreal than meeting and falling in love with Cadence ever was. Folding those tiny onesies into Cadence's dresser before she was even born was sweet, a little surreal, but not nearly as surreal as folding those tiny clothes and thinking of a second little girl wearing them. So very weird... but in a very nice way.

1 comment:

  1. I love how you mention falling in love with "Parasite", makes me lol every time. That's so sweet, though. Those tiny precious little clothes. Aww...

    ReplyDelete