With the summer temperatures finally getting up to where they're supposed to be (I am not complaining about summer's late arrival, FYI), it seemed the perfect chance to march my little troop down to the pool. Not being entirely crazy, I waited until Chad could join us so I could have an extra set of hands on deck.
Cadence was basically all set to go as soon as I had the bathing suits and diapers in hand. She was literally bouncing up and down as she stripped herself down, too impatient to wait for me to do it. Megan was a little less excited. In truth, she cried the whole time I changed her and even attempted to take the swim diaper off as soon as I'd put it on. Meanwhile, Cadence was running in and out of her room and babbling some random order at me during the whole process. It took me awhile to realize she was demanding I pull down the inflatable baby ring. I was quite impressed she remembered that from last year.
Megan snuggled in our laps as we dug out the second inflatable ring and Chad blew it up for me, then we paraded our way down to the pool. Cadence refused to wait long enough to get her sandals on and ran across the hot sidewalk. She knew exactly where to go, again astounding me with her recall from a year ago.
Once in the pool, Cadence was in her element. She was all grins, giggles, and kicking legs as she attempted to propel herself and her little yellow ring around the pool.
Megan was... not thrilled. She had a death grip on my shoulder, clutching me with both arms and legs and burying her head against my neck. If I ever attempted to hold her out away from me, all four limbs stretched forward as she fussed to be brought back to safety. I spent the majority of our pool visit sitting on the edge of the pool. Megan was perfectly content to sit between my legs and let her feet sit in the water.
Chad stayed the night last night, so when the apartment began to get warm again after lunch, we pulled the bathing suits from where they hung over the tub and got changed. Cadence, once more, was ecstatic. Megan fought even harder than the day before. But, by the end of our pool experience, I'd tricked her into having fun and playing in the pool. Except, when she found out how I'd deceived her, she went right back to the monkey grip on my torso and refused to play anymore. So I climbed out, put her in her Spongebob poncho towel to avoid her fair skin getting sunburned) and waited for Cadence to wear herself out.
Unfortunately, all my time catering to Megan's "Nooooo water nooooo" demands left my pasty white shoulders defenseless. The girls remained unpinkified, but when I finally got around to taking my shower after they were in bed and the hot water hit my shoulders... yeah, found out I was sunburned. Luckily, James got a bad sunburn at work last week so we have a full bottle of aloe vera. The only problem? Part of the sunburn is in that unreachable spot in middle of my back. At least I don't have a little white handprint from Megan's kung-fu grip.
No comments:
Post a Comment