Pages

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Little boys grow up too fast

An interesting couple of weeks here, as always. Lots of the "same ol', same ol'", but the fun "same ol', same ol'". Now that summer is here, I'm trying to plan a few fun things each week for the girls and I to do. This past week we had a couple boys from a church family come over while their parents ran some errands, so the girls got to play with new friends. Wednesday we went to story time at a nearby library, which the girls loved. Friday the girls went to the pool. It took them a little while to warm up to the idea of playing in the wading pool, especially when they both got in a little over their head (literally) within the first few minutes of playing. However, by the time we left, neither of them wanted to go. Now for a few updates:

Megan is 3 1/2 and way too big. Yesterday, as I sat in their room nursing Connor while the girls continued to sleep, I saw Megan stretched out in her bed and realized how tall she's gotten. Despite having a "new baby", it's still hard for me to see and accept how big she is. I still want to call both girls toddlers. Megan is growing more independent and insisting on doing things herself nowadays. The girls have recently gotten assigned chores and Megan will spend an hour washing the table unless you force her to stop. Tonight when we gave her a new duster to dust the TV and entertainment center, she wanted to continue dusting everything, including the stairs and the couch. She loves to laugh and play games and is developing quite the sense of humor, which can make basic chores take longer. It really is hard to notice her milestones. She doesn't draw like Cadence or anything obvious. James and I suspect her "smarts" are more social and gross motor skills (girl can climb just about anything). (Picture below courtesy of Cadence stealing my camera)
Cadence is 4 1/2. Right about now, I'm grateful for the strict September 1st deadline for kindergarten registration. I'm not sure I can handle the thought of sending her away for a day. I'm going to be a mess when she does go. It was hard enough giving her up for two hours a week when she started going to nursery. She continues to show off artistic skills that are above average. She colors almost perfectly when she sets her mind to it and fill notebooks with doodles of princesses with curly pigtails, detailed dresses, and crowns. She's also begun drawing ponies (My Little Pony) and will fill pages with letters and her name. With Megan starting to act more emotional and dramatic, it's made us realize how much Cadence has matured over the past year. We still have meltdowns, but she's getting better at controlling herself. She loves helping out with Connor and is great with him. We'll be starting a homeschool-type preschool in the fall and I'm sure she'll excel (which means it's going to be review/practice for her and something new for Megan who will undoubtedly play with us).
And, of course, there is Connor. He's only a few days shy of 3 months old and Chunky Charlie is already fitting into 6 month clothes. Totally new territory for me, since the girls were still in 6 month clothes when they hit 1 year old! I already had to clear out all the NB and most 0-3 month onesies from his drawers and am now running low on clothes that fit. Luckily, it's summer, so he really only needs outfits for when we go out. He is probably the most social and easy-going of the three kids (which is saying quite a bit, since the girls were both very easy going babies). Connor talks like crazy and goes nuts whenever people talk to him, even strangers. Not surprising for a boy that smiled at 3 weeks, even though charts say 6 weeks is average. He's already bearing his weight on his legs for extended periods of time. If he's not standing he wants to be sitting upright and will do crunches in his attempts to get up if he's reclining or laying down. He's also begun using his hands on purpose, which is cool. He sucks his thumb (yes, Erin, I'm 3 for 3 here), pulls toys close to chew on them (he likes a jingling toy bear and the glow worm) and loves banging the little red piano to make noise. Everyone keeps asking me if it's different having a boy and so far... it's not. He's just a sweet, happy baby and I love him to pieces.


So, yeah, pretty lucky here. The girls are frustrating and Connor's sometimes constant need for attention, wiggling and support for standing/sitting can make me want to growl, but I swear I bust up laughing from pure pleasure in watching them do or say something so totally unexpected and childlike. Just the other day, Cadence was laughing so hard at something James did she nearly fell out of her chair and I laughed, which only made her laugh harder. Or Connor will just light up, laugh and talk and how can you do anything but smile and laugh back? Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment