The past two years, we celebrated the girls' birthdays together. This years, we decided to make each birthday individual. The past few days, we've made it clear "Megan's birthday is on Friday and Cadence's is on Saturday", even pointed to the days on the calendar. So, today was all about Megan (much to bossy Cadence's frequent distress).
It started off like most Fridays. The girls and I woke up way too early to take James to work. When we got home, Megan curled up on the chair and decided to be a grump. When I told her it was her birthday, she informed me she was "done" with her birthday already, but I sang the happy birthday song to her and she had a big smile as I did. Guess she wasn't as "done" as she claimed. Started off the morning right with cinnamon rolls and lots of lazing around. Then we got dressed and headed to the store to get a few things for cupcake decorating and off to the park to meet up with friends.
The rest of the day went about as smoothly. Megan decided she wanted chicken and fries for lunch, so chicken and fries it was! After which, we watched "Finding Nemo" for quiet time (though Cadence was quite put out we didn't watch "Little Mermaid II" as she wanted). Cadence went down for a nap, but Megan didn't. I pulled out a little birthday crown for her to wear while she played. We went to pick up James from work, came home, and gave her the birthday present: Ariel and Eric dolls. The girls already had Ariel dolls (three to be exact), but they desperately needed some male companions and the only way to get Eric was with Ariel. Megan's in love and Cadence kept looking for a chance to snatch Eric away and play with him herself.After dinner, there were cupcakes, decorated with the frosting and sprinkles of Megan's choice and topped with 3 candles. Mmm, cupcakes.
So... Megan's 3. She'll be a Sunbeam in a few short weeks and likely wrap her teacher around her dainty little finger like she does everyone else. She oozes charm when she wants to (and shrieks like a stubborn Banshee when she doesn't). I think it's the big blue eyes and too-cute smile, and the curls probably help a lot too. She's sneaky, too, which sometimes has me busting up because she's just so darn cute about it. Thankfully, I have had a lot of practice recently at keeping a straight face long enough to correct the behavior before I turn away and giggle once she's out of hearing.
She also has quite the imagination already! We got into a long conversation less than a week ago about the monster flying around on our ceiling. And at the doctor's office, she decided the table was a cave and would crawl under then come back out and tell me about the dragon she found (it was a boy dragon and he bit her, but he was a nice dragon). She wanders around the living room playing with imaginary characters, whether her sister is participating or now. I think we have a future storyteller on our hands!
She's definitely a drama queen. She's prone to dramatic fits when things don't go her way lately. Dramatic meaning she'll begin to cry, run away and throw herself either to the floor or onto her bed and stay there until you come find her. She loves to torment the cats and her sister. Surprisingly (or maybe not), I've had to tell Megan to stop picking on her sister far more often than I've had to tell her sister. It probably doesn't help that Cadence always responds so wonderfully... But Megan also adores her big sister and is already so sweet with her baby dolls I'm sure she'll be a wonderful big sister herself when the time comes. She's super affectionate. I get lots of "I love you, Mommy's" and lots of extra hugs and kisses, and when she's not feeling well for whatever reason, she loves to snuggle. She'll snuggle even when she's feeling well, but she's pretty energetic and loves to move, too. My little daredevil acrobat braves the playground like a pro and gives me mini heart attack after mini heart attack, but she's pretty darn good at navigating tricky situations.
Lots more to say about Megan, but it's kind of hard to summarize her. She's just... awesome. In every way. Even the stubborn ones. :-)
Happy birthday to Megan! (And now Cadence too... so fun!)
ReplyDelete