It struck me, as I updated the little countdowns I have for the girls' age/next birthday, that 4 comes before 5. Cadence turning 4 wasn't a bit deal to me. I'd been calling her 4 for the past few months (though she protested every time I did so in her hearing). But realizing that she's actually 4 and the next step is the wise-sounding "5" made me realize just how big she's gotten!
Her birthday was about as uneventful as Megan's. She woke up eagerly asking if it was her birthday and asked and/or brought it up a few hundred times over the next 12 hours. When offered the breakfast of her choice, she insisted on cereal, just like every other morning. When questioned on what she wanted for lunch (and provided with several examples of something different), she wanted peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. James got to spend the day with us, so we went to the store to get stuff for Thanksgiving dinner (I'll brave the grocery stores on Friday, but that's it!) and spent a lazy afternoon at home.
We did Skype with Nana for awhile, not that the girls sat still to talk to her for long, and Cadence opened her present while we did that. She got a Flynn Rider doll, that she stubbornly calls Eugene (it is his real name, after all!). Have yet to convince her the satchel he came with isn't a purse. Her goofy fake smiles crack me up:
Afterward, it was the same routine as Megan's birthday: Cupcakes with candles and then off to bed. Quiet and pleasant. (Too bad the girls woke up Sunday morning with colds):
So... what to say about Cadence? She's definitely a challenge some days! Incredibly stubborn and set in her way of thinking. Recently, we'll give her a time limit and she usually insists it be "10 minutes" and will refuse any other offer. She really, really thrives from routine. If you try to get her in the bath before lunchtime, it takes a lot of sweet talking. Ask her to hop in the bath right after lunch and she'll race you to the bathroom. If she falls asleep and wakes up and doesn't get "snack after quiet time", it's a fight. In fact, when she falls asleep before lunch, we have a hard time convincing her the meal I prepared isn't dinner.
Stubborn as all gets out, and definitely a girl I apply the "pick your battles" approach to. She'd wear that pink dress every day if I'd let her. I don't, but if we're not going anywhere I'll often let her wear it, but she and I tend to butt heads on days I deem the dress too dirty to wear or not warm enough (which is getting to be more common finally!).
She really enjoys Primary and her class, eagerly going with James each Sunday and giggling and grinning when I pick her up from class afterward. She's as imaginative as her sister, though her imagination is shown through interactive play with her dolls. She's also an amazing little artist. Her cats are easily recognizable by even people who don't know her and she colors very seriously and very well. She loves to laugh and will eagerly seek out things to make herself giggle and does things just because she knows it makes me laugh. So she's stubborn, but she's a very happy, very helpful sweetheart at the same time.
No comments:
Post a Comment