Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

Potty-trained? (Knock on wood this time!)

I posted a couple months back about the success we were having with Megan's potty-training and two days later we were back in diapers. Totally jinxed myself.

So, posting this is probably tempting fate, but I think we're on a good run here, so I'll chance it!

Since our first tentative success, Megan and I have made various attempts at potty-training, which usually last for a day or two before we both give up and go back to diapers. But, a week and a half ago, Megan took off her diaper. Just as before, I gave her the chance. It was one of the few Fridays we didn't go anywhere, so she went all day without incident. This wasn't new, so I put her back in a diaper when I left her alone with James (who was not keen on the idea of cleaning up any mess she might make in my absence), and again when we went to church the next day.

Still, when we were home, she was diaper-free and didn't have a single accident. By the end of Saturday, I was cautiously optimistic. She'd even "done a stinky" in her little pink potty by then, which I counted as a huge success.

Held my breath and continued to give her free reign and a candy with every success (at least until she'd pee a little, get her candy, run back, pee some more, get more candy, run back, pee out the rest... you get the idea). Now she gets a treat sporadically based on her success.

We're still having issues when we put proper underwear on. In fact, the only accidents over the past 10 days have been when we attempt to put them on her. We're working on that one as we speak, and I'm remaining optimistic. Right now she wears skirts so she's used to wearing something and still going potty. Once we add underwear to the mix, candy with every success might become regular for awhile longer.

I am also optimistic about night-time training. Most mornings she's dry when she wakes up and asks to go potty, so we might get a single plastic sheet (just in case) and let her go for it! I bought a "trial pack" of diapers just a few days ago and I'd love to have those size 3s collecting dust soon.

3 comments:

  1. Crossing my fingers for you! I'm envious... can't wait til Lexi is potty trained!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waist is size 3, pees enough for a size 5 some days. Gotta remember, she'd still be wearing 12/18 month pants if they weren't capris on her. Actually, she finally plumped up a bit, we probably could move to a size 4 safely, but the 3s still fit so why bother, ya know?

    ReplyDelete