Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Tis the Season!

First and foremost, look what I made for Thanksgiving! That's right, it's eggs! This plate is a testament to how much I love my husband. For those of you not aware of my picky eating habits, I HATE eggs. I try to give them a fair chance and try them every now and again and I'm okay with scrambled eggs (never going to make myself a batch of them because they sound good, though) and I tried a deviled egg last Thanksgiving. But, nothing has changed. I'll still turn up my nose at any egg-only dish and pick them out of my macaroni salad.
The deviled eggs were my first accomplishment, but I managed to make an entire meal on my own. I spent a lot of time in the kitchen and the girls only picked at the meal in the end, but I was quite pleased with how it turned out. Thankfully, I'd gotten lots of practice by helping my mom over the past few years.
Never made a turkey until this year, though. I was a bit apprehensive, but it turned out okay (even though the flash on this picture makes it look gross and undercooked). Notice the sage leaves under the skin? Yup, I went all out, lol.
With Thanksgiving behind us though, it's time to look toward another amazing holiday. I dragged out our Christmas things and realized we have next to nothing as far as decorations go. I'm not one to go spend a lot of money on "frivolous" things without James's approval, so after talking to him last night, I went shopping today! A little fir garland to go with the tinsel one we had created a nice window treatment. Last night it was just the tinsel garland and lights and looked so pathetic. The fir garland really helped.
The last bit was our fireplace. The amazing advent calendar I made during our Super Saturday last month replaced the picture that normally hangs over our fireplace and I simply wrapped a 2x4 piece of wood we had in the garage to place over the mantle. The little tree is waiting for the tiny ornaments inside the advent calendar as we count down to Christmas. As for the shotgun shell Christmas lights on the fireplace screen? James has been wanting a set since he saw the set his grandfather had. I found them and decided I might as well splurge a little. I think they look great, don't you (Other than the green plug which has been tucked behind the screen since taking this picture).
Next weekend, James is spending some vacation time to get a 4 day weekend, so we're putting off getting a tree until we can make a day of it. Next Saturday, we're going back to Dewberry farm (the pumpkin patch we went to in October) to enjoy their Christmas tree farm. We probably won't buy from them, given their asking prices, but we're going to make the most of the atmosphere and then probably buy a tree from Home Depot on our way home (then pick up Aunt Robyn that night at the airport, wee!).

I did, however, buy lights to go on the tree and the girls each picked out an ornament. I'll probably do this every year for awhile. One of the workers at Walmart suggested I put their name and the year on each ornament as well and then give them to them for their first Christmas out of the house and I think it's a genius idea I just might use! After all, potpourri trees are so much better than ones with matching ornaments, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment