Pages

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Megan's 15 months

A fairly uneventful visit, as most doctor visits go. Cadence was even pretty happy hanging out with us in the exam room, so not even a tantrum to talk about. We got Megan measured, got into the exam room, and they just went crazy talking and exploring (within certain limits). It did go downhill once, when I attempted to put her clothes back on.

There were a few concerns. But before I go into that, let's get into the stats:

Height: 30.5" (50th percent)
Weight: 18.5 lbs (pretty far below 5th percent)

For comparison, 1 year stats (3 months ago)

Height: 28.75"
Weight: 17lbs 3oz

Obviously, the biggest concern is that she was staying around the 25th percentile for her first 3 doctor visits and then began dropping. She was noticeably below the 5th percentile line last check-up. And she was even lower on the chart this time around. Her new doctor (her old one left the practice) expressed concern. I admit, I know she's small, but even as the doctor was lecturing me on how I should put butter on her vegetables and add a scoop of mashed potatoes to her meals to plump her up. I'm reluctant to change her eating habits. Other than having fast food more often that I'd care to admit, my girls eat fairly well. I'm adding carbs to her diet, as the doctor suggested, but I just can't bring myself to add butter to her diet just to make her fat.

Other than the weight, the doctor had nothing but good things to say. Said all her breathing sounds and such were great, heart sounded good, etc. She continues to meet her milestones (which is why I'm so unconcerned with her slow weight gain), she's full of energy, and her height is gaining steadily overall. She did drop from 90th in height early on, but she's stayed around 50th ever since about 6 months. She's just a tiny thing. I also gave up nursing only a couple weeks ago, so I suspect the sudden loss of those calories might have resulted in some mild weight loss. Really, I am not concerned.

She did get the booster shot for her flu vaccine and then I had the pleasure of pinning her down in the lab for a blood draw. I thought they'd tested for anemia last time, but I didn't remember that until we'd already done the blood draw, otherwise I would have asked if it was necessary to do it. On the plus side, no vaccine shots. So at least only one thigh is going to hurt for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment