Pages

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Kern County Fair

We started off our morning with some family over for breakfast and Saturday morning's Conference session. What a great way to start off the weekend! Fruit salad, cinnamon rolls, and some lessons directly from the words of the prophets.

Admittedly, we chose to skip the afternoon session to go to the Kern County Fair (we'll catch up tomorrow). With James's work schedule and the funky fair hours, today was the only day we could go. As the Houston news is still up in the air, for all we knew it would be our last chance to go, so go we did! Cadence has recently mastered the names for cows, chicken, bunnies, and horses, so I was especially eager for her to get to see the things in person, rather than just as pictures in a book. I have to admit, I was disappointed in her relatively casual reaction to each new animal. But we'll blame some intestinal issues she's had the past few days that are still sorting themselves out for her lackluster mood.

Cadence admiring the baby chicks with Daddy:
Megan pointing to the bunny:

After admiring the livestock, we escaped the smells and went to the small kid activity area. Cadence was intrigued by the different activities set up, but her all time favorite were the pedal-tractors (that Mommy had to push because her legs weren't long enough to reach the pedals) and, of course, the "music-making" stall, where they'd hung different metal items you might find on a farm with metal rods to make music with.

It started to rain as we wandered through the kiddie carnival area searching for a ride that Cadence was tall enough for. At 34" she was about 2" too short for pretty much all of them. James attempted to win with a BB gun game, but every time he had just a tiny corner of the star remaining. We enjoyed the rain, though! With as humid as it's been, it was nice to have a warm sprinkle come down on us. Megan wasn't too thrilled with it, though, and curled up tight against the rain (when the forecast calls for 93 degrees the night before, you don't think to grab a jacket on your way out the door). So we left before Cadence got to ride on the swing ride, which she was tall enough for.

Afterward, we left the girls with Aunt Robyn and James and I returned to the fair for a simple date night. We did nothing worth mentioning, but it was enjoyable nonetheless.

And as one might be able to see from the pedal-tractor picture... I have had a very recent hair makeover. During the girls' nap time, I scampered off to cut off approximately 8" of hair (maybe more?) and then darkened it to a tone more appropriate for winter. I'm loving the haircut. I've been needing a "mom cut" for awhile now, with how long and bulky my hair's gotten. Here's the best shot I could get that really shows off the cut so enjoy:

No comments:

Post a Comment