Pages

Friday, February 12, 2010

"No" and "Meow" are the same thing

Cadence has successfully learned the word "no". So far she hasn't gotten nasty with it. But if I try to spoon feed her or get at her boogers (she's getting over a cold so she has a lot of them!) she turns her head and says "no". And because her "no" has the same cadence to it as her "meow" she'll start meowing as well. I think "meow" is going to be her fallback word for when she doesn't have a word to use. After all, the cats can carry on a conversation and have all their needs met with that one word, why not her?

She also has the word "ow" down as well. She'll hit herself and say "ow". And if you touch her and she doesn't want you touching her she'll say "ow", even though it doesn't hurt. Just to prove it to others, I touched her cheek. When I didn't stop touching her cheek right away, she told me "ow" and moved her face away. We all had a good laugh at that one.

She's struggling with "mouth" and "Megan", they get easily mixed up with "meow", for obvious reasons. She now points to her mouth or her sister's mouth and says "mouth", but sometimes she'll see a cat and do the same thing. Other times I'll point to my mouth or Megan's mouth and she'll start meowing at me. And Megan's just a hard word for her. She's trying so hard. It comes out more like "Meh-kee" or "Meh-bee" or sometimes she gets the g down and calls her "Meh-gee". But never consistently. I think she knows it's not being said right and she's not going to use it too much until she has it down pat.

She's relapsing a bit with words, I've noticed. She's using the words she knows less and less and using fussing more. I think it's just her being frustrated that she doesn't have enough words to convey what she wants as much, even though she knows the words are out there. I imagine it's a pretty normal stage, and that in a few weeks or so she'll start talking more. She does so desperately want to communicate.

Megan's still not quite as interesting. She's growing into a pretty baby just like Cadence was. There are times she looks at me and I feel such a deja vu remembering Cadence at that same age. My daughters will never be able to convince people they're not related.

Anyway, Megan's really close to hitting some milestones, I think. Now that she's 3 months old, she's got decent head control, loves to look around and push herself up when she's on her belly. She's almost ready to put the baby swing away and pull out the jumperoo. Actually, we've already broken "the rules" and put her in it a few times. She loves standing herself up in it and she grins ear to ear when I bounce her a bit. Of course, her head control isn't perfect yet and she gets tired easily, especially trying to hold it steady with the bouncing, so we only do it for a few minutes. As soon as the smiles stop we take her out and go right back to talking to her, which has her all smiles again.

I thought Cadence was a social baby, but Megan is much more of a people-lover. She doesn't even care about toys. If I leave her at her gym for long, she'll get bored enough to fall asleep. She wants people not toys. At least her sister entertains her enough, when she's not poking out her eyes and saying "Meh-bee" that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment