We're getting closer and closer to our California trip and I'm starting to get excited! The girls... well... it's hit or miss. Some days they'll talk happily about going on a plane and sometimes Cadence will throw a fit refusing to even consider the idea. Some times, they're all about going to Disneyland and meeting Cinderella and Ariel in real life, others... yeah, you get the idea. I'd say about 90% of the time, they are pretty cool with the idea of going to Nana's house. And 100% of the time, they're happy to see their cousin Lynne (they could care less about Lynne's brothers, Lucas and Adam).
Anyway, been a busy time around the Smith household here. I think of a dozen anecdotes to share throughout the day, but now that I'm here, I can't think of a single one.
We were in a car accident a few weeks ago, which has been publicized pretty much everywhere but this blog (at least I didn't post a pretty dramatic picture of our car and disappear overnight like I did last time, right?). Cadence still complains that "Mommy broke the white car", but she's pretty okay with the "new black car". The "new black car" being the 2003 Ford Explorer we bought last week. After driving sedans and a minivan, the SUV is taking a little getting used to, but I'm adjusting. The girls love that they can see out their side windows easily and the sunroof gives them more to look at.
They also love their new carseats (which I bought because they had good reviews for a slim profile and also good reviews for airplane travel), which now match and put my twitchy tendencies into harmony (I do not know why mismatched carseats bugged me, but it did, I think I might have some issues, lol).
I'm getting antsy about our upcoming trip, the logistical part of it, at least. I'm a nervous traveler, always have been, probably always will be. Add in a crowded airport, cramped airplane, and 2 restless preschoolers and I've been over-thinking it for awhile now. Everyone keeps telling me to chill, but that's pretty much impossible for me. The girls will have their new backpacks stuffed with all the goodies I've been buying lately. Okay, not really, but it does feel like I keep buying that "just one more thing". Just last week I bought some new DVDs for the girls to watch in the car during our road trip portion of this vacation.
The girls continue to be awesome and frustrating, all at once. I can certainly understand ostriches a lot better. Several times a day, all I want to do is just stick my head under a blanket or just cover my eyes because it seems the best way to keep sane.
Like, oh, when Cadence came out complaining that she got her dress dirty and I look up to find her and her sister covered in cornstarch. I just wanted to put a pillow over my head and not even venture into their bedroom to see the extent of the mess (that James mostly cleaned up, while I cleaned up the kids). Or when they emerged from the room a few days later smelling like the new box of crackers I'd bought (unfortunately, James wasn't here to clean up that mess for me).
Cadence was "Spotlighted" in primary this past week. She's really flourished in primary and I love it. Two weeks ago, I waited in the halls with my primary class and her class has to pass by us to get to their classroom after singing time. Cadence came running around the corner, leading the pack, with her arms stretched out saying "Fly! Let's fly!" and the rest of her class followed her example. I could only flash an apologetic smile at the woman trying to herd the class.
Anyway, while being spotlighted, I had to fill out a form with her favorite things. She happily informed me her favorite color was pink, her hair was yellow, her eyes are brown, her favorite food is hamburgers, her favorite place to go is McDonalds, and her favorite primary song is "Choose the Right" (the hymn, which they are learning in primary this year).
Despite her exuberance, Cadence is extremely shy in new situations, so when they tried to call her to the front of the room, her friend Sammy (yes, Cadence refers to this girl as her friend, since she is the only other girl in her class and Cadence currently doesn't like boys, and only makes the occasional exception for Daddy) had to push her forward. She clung to my hand and stared at the floor while I read the form and only came to life when she realized I was leaving, at which point she forgot the crowd of kids and began showing me the charm they gave her for being spotlighted. :-)
I wish I could say how Megan is doing in nursery. When we pick her up, she tends to be playing with the other kids and genuinely happy before she notices me in the doorway. A couple weeks ago, I was passing the nursery to go turn in some borrowed chalk at the library when I heard her crying, so I paused and peeked in and found her upset because she'd been knocked over. Within seconds she stopped crying and ran back to lay under the rainbow parachute they were playing with, laughing and kicking her legs. I also get to hear them singing primary songs from my classroom, since my room shares a wall with theirs, so I imagine she's enjoying herself. She's learning the primary program songs with Cadence and can almost sing the songs as well as her big sister.
So, that's pretty much it, I suppose. Father's Day is coming up this week. No idea what to get James. He's talking about getting a nice suit, since I caught his nice dress pants on fire (force of the airbag scraping against his pants in the accident). I did get him a corny little trinket, but still need to get him an actual present (He and the girls got me flowers and an entire cheesecake for Mother's Day). Maybe I'll make him that carrot cake he loves so much.
His pants caught on fire? That is crazy. There is a great (inexpensive) suit place in the fashion district in L.A...
ReplyDelete