I had a long list of errands needing to be ran and I knew I could either get them done today and miss story time, or go to story time and have an unfinished list. Yesterday, though, James got off work early and before I knew it I was out the door with just Cadence (Megan was napping) to start my errands a half a day early.
Cadence and I went to Burlington Coat Factory, the only place I've had any luck getting affordable, quality dresses that will fit my skinny girls and still fall below their knees (it helps that they have ties in the back...). Cadence is SUCH a girly girl, she loves clothes and especially dresses. I turned my radio down the whole time we drove and we talked about what kind of dress she wanted (pink!) and what kind of dress we should pick up for Megan (purple! No, brown! No, yellow!).
Unfortunately, with no major holidays coming up, BCF's selection was rather limited in toddler sizes, but we still found three dresses that Cadence liked. Normally, I'll just hold it up to her and see if it fits that way, but it was just the two of us and I wanted to do something special with her. So we went into the dressing rooms where she got to try on each of the three dresses and pick her favorite (the poofiest, pinkest dress in the group, of course). Then I let her pick between two dresses for Megan (the girliest, green dress was chosen).
We stopped at Sonic for a small cherry slush and came home to find Megan awake. Cadence tried on her dress to show off to her Daddy and Megan tried on hers as well.
I had a few things to do at home, but I promised Megan I'd take her out and got her shoes on. I kept thinking of one last thing I needed to do and Megan would grab my hand after every task and pull me to the door: "Come on, Mommy!" until at last we were in the car and driving to Walmart. We talked about colors for most of the trip, Megan pointing to things and asking what color they were and me asking her the same. I also asked what she wanted to look at while we were at the store ("Ponies! And Barbies! And Princess dolls!")
Rather than put Megan in the cart, since it was just us, she got to walk. Since she had my full attention, I was willing to let her wander a bit more than usual. We picked up some clothes for myself and then spent some time looking at clothes for the girls (we'd just bought quite a bit, so we looked without buying) and shoes. Then off to the toy department where Megan walked down the aisle pushing every "try me" button she could reach and asking for help to get the ones she couldn't.
It was an enjoyable and relaxing afternoon (for me, at least, poor James got stuck with Cadence who decided to throw a tantrum when I was gone too long and he's not too experienced and calming a 3-year-old who's determined to be mad, so it didn't end well for them). Sometimes I get so overwhelmed with two stubborn, strong-willed, energetic little girls, I forget what a delight they are and the one-on-one time really helps me remember that and enjoy them more. They really are sweet girls, difficult, but sweet.
No comments:
Post a Comment