Well, I got a new camera from some overly generous friends I met at the summer camp I worked at a few years ago, along with other goodies for Megan and Cadence. Either way, since they were so sweet with the camera, I naturally had to snap a few pictures just for them (If you're on Facebook you've seen these, sorry, no new ones yet), since they were so persistent in requesting some once they knew their package had arrived.Just so you know, I am sharing their current Cherokee names with you (the name in parenthesis). James's paternal grandfather is Cherokee, full-blooded according to family gossip, but only half-blooded on paper (paternity is in question, apparently?), but fully raised. So he gave his granchildren Cherokee names and taught them a bit of the culture and legends as well. So, even though James may be only 1/16ths (a little more, actually, I believe he's 1/32nd from his mom's side as well?), he has more claim on Cherokee heritage than any other Eastern European heritage that makes of the modge-podge of the other 15/16ths he is.
Plus, heck, claiming that Cherokee blood lets him read the Book of Mormon as a family history rather than just scripture. It was pretty cool to be reading the Book of Mormon, realizing that James is a distant descendant and then looking at Cadence and realizing, she was now as well. Plus, it's fascinating to read Cherokee legends (we have a book of them) and see the correlations between their teachings and the Gospel. But, I'm getting off track here. Pictures:
No comments:
Post a Comment