Pages

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Just another Friday?

For the past couple weeks, I've felt like I'm just holding my breath as I wait for August 25th, so not a lot has happened. We've done the usual trips to the library, grocery shopping, and a couple playdates.

But, given our normal schedules, the last couple weeks have been very quiet. I didn't realize how much we actually do until we weren't doing anything for awhile. Heck, we've barely made it out to the gym the last few weeks because one of us or the other has been sick. Currently, I'm working my way through a mild head cold (you know, the kind that doesn't completely debilitate you, but just has you feeling miserable for days on end).

Yesterday, we did our first "exciting" thing in weeks and for some reason, I was a complete wreck as the appointment drew closer: Cadence had her kindergarten assessment. For completely irrational reasons, I dwelled on the upcoming meeting.

Naturally, the actual experience was simple. We reached the elementary school and were greeted by a group of bubbly pre-teens who were running the table for their mom (principal? PTO president? counselor?) Either way, they were adorable in their way of handling the responsibility in a way only pre-teens can. They checked Cadence's name off of the list and walked her down the hall to a kindergarten classroom, leaving us behind.

Megan watched a movie on my tablet, Connor played a lockable color/numbers game on my phone and I watched the other parents and wondered if they were as excited/anxious/nervous about this whole kindergarten ordeal as I was, but didn't dare speak. I did get a few comments from one mom who admired Connor's... we'll call it tenacity as he frequently attempted to flee down the halls. And another mom reacted when I complimented her child's tiara headband as she returned from her assessment. We spoke briefly about how her kindergartner was also her oldest and she too had two younger ones at home. As they left, I couldn't help but wonder if that little girl would be in Cadence's class and whether she might become Cadence's best friend. Given the tiara, I imagine they'd have a lot in common...

Finally, Cadence returned, entrusted by the teacher to walk back down the hall by herself. She was all smiles as she talked about reading books with the teacher and naming letters and words that started with it and counting buttons and almost falling out of her chair.

Next Friday we'll spend a few minutes meeting her teacher, seeing her classroom and dropping off the pack of school supplies we'll be picking up at the kindergarten orientation Tueday night. With just over a week to go, I still can't seem to grasp that this is really happening.

I'm such a mess of emotions. I'm so excited for her to start school and have the new experiences and make new friends, but I am going to miss her like crazy. Though, I think Megan is going to miss her constant companion more.

3 comments:

  1. Is the kindergarten there extended day? Or do you have the AM/PM class choice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's full day. 8-3. The schedule seems pretty great, though. There's something unique to do daily, either computer time, music class, library, etc. Plus, the last 30 minutes of class is snack & story time. She's going to love it.

    ReplyDelete