Today is the day. After weeks of anticipation and preparation, Cadence put on her new school uniform, I packed her lunch in her princess lunch bag, and it was time to go. With warnings of traffic chaos on my mind, we left early and ended up being right on time. Cadence asked that we walk her to her classroom the first day, so we parked on one of the side streets and followed the flow of pedestrian traffic, sweating the whole way (humidity is a killer, ugh!)
The moment we reached the classroom, I became chopped liver in Cadence's world. As soon as we hit the doorway, she ran to her teacher shouting "Hi, I'm here!" and I stood helplessly cast aside as the teacher helped her find her desk. The useless feeling was equally met with pride that she could so capably adapt to this new classroom without my aid. She at least deigned to allow me to take one picture of her at her seat before she returned her full attention to coloring and brushed off my "I'll see you after school" farewell.
So the remaining duo trekked back to the car with me (I had carried Connor, not caring to maneuver a stroller in crowded halls) to brave the remaining traffic to get home. Truthfully, it wasn't too bad, though I expect parent pick-up will be sheer chaos, since everyone will be coming at once instead of staggered waves. We'll see, I suppose.
It's 8:30 here. Cadence's class started officially half an hour ago. I have a kindergartner!
No comments:
Post a Comment