Pages

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Extra! Extra! Read all about it (Doctor stats)

Mostly posting this because these are numbers I want to keep and this blog is my way of saving many memories. (Seriously, eventually, this will be printed out as a keepsake memory book for the kids down the road).

The girls had their dual appointment today. It was a bit hectic, since two nurses jumped in and at one point Cadence was in the room having her hearing checked as I answered questions about her allergies and Megan was in the hall being measured while I was trying to assure her I wasn't leaving her behind.

Cadence did worlds better this year, though considering the mess she was last year, she would have really had to try to be worse. She obsessed about the shot, of course, but seemed pretty happy about it in general. She was even happier when the nurse told her she wasn't getting shots this time around. While this was true, she neglected to mention Cadence would be getting a finger prick. Megan covered her ears and shut her eyes every time shots were mentioned, especially once learning she would not be spared like her sister.

All in all, the girls are in great health. They were able to do both the hearing and vision test on both girls. Their eyesight was 20/16 and their hearing test passed. Both are things we want to keep a close eye on as they start to age, thanks to poor family history in both areas, but for now we'll continue to cross fingers and toes they inherited my eyesight and hearing.

Megan surprised me by gaining 6 pounds! (For reference, she only gained 1.5 pounds the year before) She's still a skinny miss, but she's 40" (50-75 percentile) and 31lbs (10-15 percentile). She's more or less the same size Cadence was at age 4, minus 3 pounds.

Cadence is on her usual curve. She gained 4lbs and a couple inches, rounding out at 38lbs (30-35 percentile) and 42 3/4" (50 percentile even). Admittedly, I'm surprised she's so low on the scale, since until all the boys in her class hit their growth spurt last year, she was the biggest and youngest in her primary class. However, they did hit their growth spurts and she's now average sized (and no longer the youngest, due to the population explosion in our ward primary).

The doctor kept asking diet questions and I hesitated. I do try to make sure they eat healthy, but this morning we ran out of milk, so I went to the donut place to pick up donuts and orange juice for breakfast. It's a fight to get them to eat any vegetable other than corn (and currently, Cadence claims to hate it). The only vegetable they eat with a relish is ice berg lettuce coated with ranch dressing. I don't think that's what the doctor meant, but I do try! And milk? Yeah... it's a hit or miss. One day they'll drink the whole cup with breakfast, the other it's untouched.

Do peanut butter and jelly sandwiches count as a balanced diet? Because that's pretty much the only thing I can say for sure they eat on a regular basis. *sigh*

Oh well! They take a multivitamin and I keep trying. Dinner is usually pretty balanced, there's just no guarantee they'll eat it. :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment