Pages

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Birthday Weekend!

In the near future, I might manage to successfully separate the girls' birthdays, but it did not happen this weekend. Both girls anxiously counted down and asked about their birthday since I changed the calendar to November. With our California trip right around the corner and everything, we didn't make a big deal (again) this year, but we had an enjoyable weekend nonetheless.

Saturday morning, Cadence woke Megan up with the news that it was her birthday and they both rushed out to tell me. I was inundated with "whose birthday is it today?" and "whose birthday is it tomorrow?" from both ends.

We went to do family pictures since it's the only weekend that worked out, and then went to Chili's for Megan's birthday dinner (she got to pick the restaurant and chose Chili's based on their picture of pizza). The girls feasted on pepperoni pizzas, salads, and apple juice. Actually, Cadence ate more of her salad than her pizza and Megan picked at both. Unfortunately, I left my camera's memory card at home and my camera has no internal memory, so a bunch of cute pictures were taken and subsequently lost. We topped off the meal with a "skillet cookie", which was basically a small cast iron skilled filled with a chocolate chip cookie and topped off with ice cream. Cadence burned her hand a handful of times and Connor demanded his fair share of the dessert (after filling up on the potatoes and corn from my dinner). Mmm.

At home, Megan got to unwrap her present.


While it wasn't the Barbie she had decided she wanted, upon recognizing the "Sofia the First" design on the box, she was ecstatic. The girls LOVE Sofia the First. I daresay it's overcome My Little Pony as their favorite, mostly because we watch it more often and their love is a fickle thing when it comes to TV shows. Cadence was so excited about Megan's new toy we were constantly hounding her to give Megan her toy back. So, we decided to give her present to her early rather than constantly getting on her case.
Once both girls had new toys, they scampered off to create new adventures with their new characters and even took them to bed with them.

Today, Cadence was thrilled to tell everyone she was 5! She danced with her new Barbie while we got ready for church and couldn't wait to get to primary and tell her teacher all about it. And, sure enough, the moment her teacher sat down, Cadence was chatting her ear off. Her teacher is absolutely amazing and just gushed with the same enthusiasm. When the primary sang to them both, their shy side came out and they both glowered at the floor, and I wished for my camera to capture it. Ah, well...

Cadence's request for dinner was "hot dogs cooked outside by mommy". Alas, our charcoal was old and we were out of lighter fluid, so mommy cooked them inside on the griddle instead while she frosted the cake last minute. It all seemed to be enjoyed, though. Even Connor ate his fill!




So, now they're 4 & 5. Yikes!

There's a very funny story somewhere in there in which James saw a spider on the car and freaked out, or as I describe it "screamed like a girl". I was laughing so hard it's a good thing we were at a red light. Unfortunately, the story ends with me giggling and saying "you just had to be there". So, for now, I'll leave you with the image of my big manly husband screaming and jumping (while buckled) as far from the spider as possible and taking off his shoe to try to squash the thing and demanding I open the window so he can try to brush it out. I got my ab work out from laughing so hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment