Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

29 Week Sneak Peek


Due to "measuring large" at my last doctor appointment, I got another little peek at Connor this morning. :-) It seems I'm not the only one measuring large. Little Connor is already estimated to be a hefty 3lbs 12oz (margin of error means he could be anywhere between 3lbs 3oz and 4lbs 5oz). While that may not seem like a lot to some, it is the 93rd percentile for his gestational age and is actually closer to the average weight of a baby 3 weeks older than him. If he gains the average of 5lbs between now and 40 weeks, he's likely to be in the 8lb range on his due date, closing in on 9lbs.

That is, of course, assuming the measurements are spot on. Megan herself measured 2-3 weeks ahead when they estimated her weight at 33 weeks. She came out "above average" for her age, but not by any extreme amount. So, it's just a wait and see.

Connor reacted as I've come to recognize as "normal". As soon as that wand pushed on my belly and invaded his space he was fighting back. He eventually accepted the poking and prodding and, other than a few stubborn kicks, he tucked his hands up by his face and went to sleep. Darn shame, too. The tech attempted to get me a nice 3D picture of his face, but with his hands in the way, she couldn't get a clear shot. Had a good laugh. To estimate his size/weight, the tech needed to measure his femur, but every time she'd get that focused, he's scoot over and "show off the goods". She eventually got the measurement, but it took 3 or 4 tries to make it work. And if the "borderline obscene" picture I had from the 21 week ultrasound wasn't enough to erase any doubts Connor is a boy, there's another one tucked into the 29 week pack of pictures. Definitely boy.

I didn't actually talk to the doctor at the hospital today like I normally do once the whole thing was done. He got called in for a consultation and the nurse offered to just have him forward the results to my personal doctor and go over them with him at my appointment next week. The tech said there was nothing that stood out as unusual to her, so I decided that's "good enough for now" and we'll see what my doctor says when I see him next Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment