Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Day at the Zoo, Take 2

James's mother bought us a family pass to the zoo. It means the girls and I can go whenever we want and James can join us (should he ever get a day off again in this lifetime). Admittedly, it felt strange to go do something like the zoo without James. We always try to make such adventures a family thing, but I wasn't going to let the zoo passes go to waste. Besides, James had already gone with us, so it wasn't a newexperience, though we did do a few things we didn't do last time.

For example, we completely missed the primates exhibit last time we went, so the girls were ecstatic to discover cage after cage filled with monkeys. And then I got these pictures of their innerselves shining through.

The orangutan with the baby was so precious, I couldn't help but snap a quick picture of it. The baby kept looking at the girls and I, probably because we were making so much noise.
Shortly after leaving the primate exhibit, Cadence began begging to see a dragon. Lo and behold, minutes later, we were passing by the komodo dragon exhibit. I am not sure if she remembered it from last time or what, since it was in sight when she began asking for it. I'm not sure I convinced them this dragon isn't the same as the one on our video games...
Since members get carousel tickets half-price, I figured I'd treat the girls to a ride. They wanted to ride all of the animals and had a hard time deciding, but in the end they ended up on the lioness and the leopard, though Cadence referred to hers as a tiger for the entire ride.

The most exciting part of the day was getting to feed the giraffes. Armed with extremely overpriced leaves of lettuce, the girls got to get up close and personal and watch the giraffe snatch the leaves from their hands with its long tongue. Cadence giggled the entire time (can you see how hard she's grinning in the picture from her cheeks?)
After that, it was a quiet lunch in the children's zoo and then on to the petting zoo, where the girls, once again, enjoyed brushing the goats before racing around the many playplaces the children's zoo offered. Cadence stubbornly navigated a rope playplace intended for older children and Megan and I went up and down a ramp a dozen times to let her go down the slide.
Before we left, we stopped off at the aquarium. The girls went nuts over the displays. Starting with a huge aquarium filled with fish as large as them (no picture, though, because the little boy in the corner of this picture posed with them and I'm not putting the face of some stranger's kid up on the internet). They were especially fascinated with the reef fish, where they happily pointed out every Nemo and Dory they found. Nor were they the only ones referring to the fish by those names. I think scientists should just give in and rename the suckers.
And... the aftermath:

1 comment:

  1. That last picture is priceless! It sounds like an awesome zoo. Someday, when I go to Texas, we should go there. :)

    ReplyDelete